The city of Hopkinsville, Kentucky is located in the western part of the state of Kentucky, north of Louisville, and has come a long way since Bartholomew and Martha Ann Wood in 1796. Bartholomew Wood claimed the area of today - today's Hopkinsville - in his claim to the land in front of his house on the west side of the city.
After the foundation of Christian County in the same year, the Woods donated enough land to form their seat of government in 1797. After the founding of Hopkinsville, Kentucky in 1801 and the establishment of a county town council in 1840, they donated more than $1 million in land to build their residential and office building, which they formed the Christian County Seat of Government. "in 1797, as well as $2.5 million for a new church and other improvements.
Hopkinsville and Christian County are home to a number of businesses and industries, including Fortune 500 companies. Today Hopkinsville is one of the largest cities in the USA with a population of more than 1.5 million people and offers the opportunity to maintain a strong sense of community and to host events such as concerts, festivals and events.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Hopkinsville has a population of 1.5 million people with a land area of 4.2 million acres that is land and water. Clarksville, Tennessee, is 35 miles south, Oak Grove 15 miles south and Madisonville 56 miles. North, Russell County, Kentucky and Russellville (56 km / 56 miles) East of it. Christian County is also home to Fort Knox, a military base with just over 30,000 troops stationed on the ground and one of the largest U.S. military facilities in the world at the time of World War II, with more than 1,500 troops.
Hopkinsville crosses with Russell County, Kentucky and Russellville (35 miles west) and Madisonville, Tennessee and Oak Grove (15 miles south and 30 miles east).
Hopkinsville is the headquarters of the US Army Corps of Engineers (USAC) and the United States Air Force. Hopkinsville is served by the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment and 3rd Infantry Division and serves in the Army National Guard as well as as an operations base for the U.S. Army Special Forces.
Before 2003, the area was officially known as Clarksville - Hopkinsville Metropolitan Statistical Area and included only Montgomery and Christian counties. Christian County was part of the former Montgomery County and Davis County, both now parts of Todd County in Kentucky, and is home to the University of Kentucky and Kentucky State University in Louisville, Kentucky. It is the site of a former county hospital, Christian Medical Center, as well as a post office and hospital in the town of Christian, which is now part of Todd County of Kentucky with a population of about 2,500.
Hopkinsville was a stop on the Trail of Tears, and a park on 9th Street near the Little River is a reminder of that history. Hopkinsville is another stop on the road of the US Army Corps of Engineers and the Kentucky Department of Natural Resources (KDFR). Hopkins County, Kentucky: A park along 9st Street on the small river commemorates this history, as does a monument to the American Civil War.
The Pennyroyal Area Museum is owned and funded by the City of Hopkinsville and was established to preserve the heritage of Southwestern Kentucky's rich history. The Penny Royalty Area Museum, part of the Hopkins County Historical Society, was founded and is owned and funded by the city By, the City of Hopkinsville: The Pennyroyals Area Museum is owned and funded by and founded to preserve the heritage of southwest Kentucky and its rich history.
The line was acquired in 1879 and later extended north to Henderson, but abandoned in the 1980s. The Ohio Valley Railroad, which was bought in 1897, built the Gracey to Hopkinsville (1892) and the Grady to Lexington (1897). The line was purchased in 1879 by the Louisville and Kentucky Railroad Company (L & K) of Louisville, Kentucky, the original owner of the Pennyroyal Area Museum. Later it was extended from Henderson to the north and south to Louisville, Kentucky's second largest city.
The Ohio Valley Railroad, which was bought in 1897, built the Gracey to Hopkinsville (1892) and the Grady to Lexington (1897). The western section of the Tennessee Central Railway entered Christian County in 1891 and connected Clarksville and Hopkinsville by a link with the Louisville and Kentucky Railroad Company (L & K) in Louisville, Kentucky. The Illinois and Southern Railroad (later purchased by Illinois Southern) reached the city in 1892, as did Tennessee Central in 1903, but was abandoned in the 1980s.
The men trained there became one of the most successful railroad companies in the United States and the second largest railroad company in Kentucky. They were responsible for the construction and operation of many of Kentucky's major railroads. The men who were trained there became the first and only railway companies of this kind in America.